Paul A. Gompers
, Professor of Business Administration and Director of Research at the Harvard Business School, specializes in research on financial issues related to venture capital and private equity funds as well as start-up, high growth, and newly public companies. He has published numerous professional papers in academic journals and is co-author of the Venture Capital Cycle and The Money of Invention.
William A. Sahlman is the Dimitri V. d'Arbeloff Class of 1955 Professor of Business Administration at Harvard Business School. His writings have been widely published in a variety of academic and business journals. He first introduced the entrepreneurial finance course at the Harvard Business School in 1985.
SECTION I. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
Module I.A. SOURCES OF VALUE.
1. Introduction to Entrepreneurial Finance.
2. The Knot.
3. Beta Group.
4. Cachet Technologies.
5. Some Thoughts on Business Plans.
6. NSK Software Technologies Ltd..
MODULE I.B. UNDERSTANDING FINANCIAL STATEMENTS AND PRO FORMA MODELS.
7. Tutor Time (A).
8. Fenchel Lampshade Company.
MODULE I.C. PURCHASING FIRMS, BUYOUTS, AND VALUATION.
9. A Note on Valuation in Entrepreneurial Ventures.
10. Digital Everywhere, Inc.
11. The Carlton Polish Company.
12. Record Masters
MODULE I.D. REAL OPTIONS.
13. Capital Projects as Real Options: An Introduction
14 Penelope's Personal Pocket Phones.
15. E-ink: Financing Growth
16. Genset: 1989.
SECTION II. FINANCING THE ENTREPRENEURIAL FIRM:
MODULE II A. VENTURE CAPITAL.
17. A Note on Private Equity Securities.
18. edocs, Inc. (A)
MODULE II.B. ANGEL FINANCING.
19. A Note on Angel Financing.
20. Honest Tea
MODULE III.C. VENTURE LEASING.
21. Note on the Venture Leasing Industry.
22. Efficient market services: August 1993 (A).
MODULE II.D. FRANCHISING.
23. A Note on Franchising.
24. Tutor Time (B).
MODULE II.E. BANKS.
25. Xedia and Silicon Valley Bank (A).
MODULE III.F. LICENSING/STRATEGIC ALLIANCE.
26. A Note on Strategic Alliances.
27. Parenting magazine.
MOCULE II.G. GOVERNMENTS FINANCING
28. A Note on Government Sources of Financing for Small Businesses.
29. Torrent Systems.
SECTION III. HARVESTING :
MODULE III.A. INITIAL PUBLIC OFFERINGS.
30. A Note on the Initial Public Offering Process.
31. Amazon.com--Going Public.
MODULE III.B. ACQUISITIONS.
33. Nantucket Nectars.
34. HIMs Corp, Inc.
SECTION IV. RENEWAL IN THE ENTREPRENEURIAL FIRM.
35. Dell Ventures.