List of Tables.
List of Figures.
Introduction: Poverty in Rich Countries.
Part I: Political Arithmetic: Financial Poverty in the European Union:.
1. The Measurement of Poverty: A Cautionary Tale of Comparing France and the United Kingdom.
2. Absolute and Relative Standards.
3. Expenditure versus Income, Households versus Families, and Choice of Equivalent Scale.
4. Differing Judgements and Dominance Criteria.
5. National Studies of Poverty.
Part II: Economics of Poverty and Exclusion:.
6. Unemployment and Exclusion in the Labour Market.
7. Pricing and Exclusion from the Goods Market.
8. Exclusion, Rising Living Standards and the Availability of Products.
9. Household Production, Time and the Take-Up Problem.
Part III: Political Economy of Poverty:.
10. The Political Economy of an Official Poverty Line.
11. Macro-Economic Policy and Poverty.
12. Targeting and Efficiency in Alleviating Poverty.
13. The Limits of Targeting via Means Tests.
14. Towards a European Minimum.
Envoi: Poverty, Policy and Mainstream Economics.
Appendix on Statistical Sources.