ED PAULSON is the President of Technology and Communications, Inc. He is a ten-year Silicon Valley start-up veteran who previously worked with several executives instrumental to Cisco Systems's incredible success story. He is the author of over ten business and technology books, his most recent being The Technology M&A Guidebook (Wiley). Currently a Visiting Professor of Business at DePaul University in Naperville, Illinois, his professional background spans over twenty years as a business manager, engineer, and entrepreneur in both Silicon Valley and Austin, Texas. He can be reached at www.edpaulson.com.
1. SO WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?
2. BUYING THE CISCO WAY.
3. THE COMPANY THAT SANDY, LEN, DON, JOHN, AND JOHN BUILT.
4. VISION COMPATIBILITY MUST EXIST.
5. WIN IN THE SHORT TERM
6. GOOD VIBRATIONS.
7. MAKE IT A LONG-TERM WIN, TOO.
8. CLOSER IS BETTER.
9. NO MERGER OF EQUALS.
10. TARGET PRACTICE.
11. THE CISCO DUE DILIGENCE "SNIFF TEST".
12. PERSONNEL INTEGRATION À LA CISCO-BAM!.
13. INTEGRATING PRODUCTS AND PRODUCTION.
14. SETTING THE PURCHASE PRICE .
15. CAN YOU REALLY GROW THROUGH ACQUISITION?
16. SO HOW GOOD REALLY IS THE CISCO A&D APPROACH?
Appendix A: DUE DILIGENCE STARTING CHECKLIST.
Appendix B: VARIOUS COMPANY BUYER TYPES AND THEIR MOTIVATIONS.
Appendix C: TYPICAL MOTIVATIONS FOR BUYING A COMPANY.
Appendix D: SUMMARY OF CISCO'S ACQUISITIONS.