GEORGE SOROS is Chairman of Soros Fund Management, which serves as the principal investment advisor to the multibillion dollar Quantum Group of Funds. Soros’s flagship Quantum Fund is recognized as the most successful investment fund ever, returning an average 31 percent annually for more than thirty years. Soros has been an important philanthropist since 1979. His charitable foundations are active in more than fifty countries and spend nearly half a billion dollars each year to support projects in education, public health, civil society development, human rights, and many other areas.
Foreword to the New Edition by Paul A. Volcker.
Foreword to the First Edition by Paul Tudor Jones II.
PART ONE: THEORY
1. Reflexivity in the Stock Market.
2. Reflexivity in the Currency Market.
3. The Credit and Regulatory Cycle.
PART TWO: HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE.
4. The International Debt Problem.
5. The Collective System of Lending.
6. Reagan’s Imperial Circle.
7. Evolution of the Banking System.
8. The "Oligopolarization" of America.
PART THREE: THE REAL-TIME EXPERIMENT.
9. The Starting Point: August 1985.
10. Phase 1: August 1985-December 1985.
11. Control Period: January 186-July 1986.
12. Phase 2: July 1986-November 1986.
13. The Conclusion: November 1986.
PART FOUR: EVALUATION.
14. The Scope for Financial Alchemy: An Evaluation of the Experiment.
15. The Quandary of the Social Sciences.
PART FIVE: PRESCRIPTION.
16. Free Markets Versus Regulation.
17. Toward an International Central Bank.
18. The Paradox of Systemic Reform.
19. The Crash of '87.