A. D. Bain is Visiting Professor in the Department of Political Economy at Glasgow University, and was previously Group Economic Advisor at Midland Bank for 6 years and a member of the Wilson Committee to review the functioning of Financial Institutions (1977-80).
List of Tables.
Preface to the Second Edition.
Preface to the First Edition.
Part I: Introduction.
1. The Financial System.
2. Finance in Britain.
Part II: Theory of the Financial System.
3. Mobilizing Saving.
4. Asset Transformation.
5. Interest Rates.
6. Interest Rates: Further Development.
Part III: The Users of the System.
7. Personal Saving and Investment.
8. Company Financial Behaviour.
9. Public Sector Investment and Financing.
10. The Overseas Sector and the UK Financial System.
Part IV: Financial Institutions and Markets.
11. Banks and Building Societies.
12. Investing Institutions.
13. Specialized Financial Institutions.
14. Financial Markets.
Part V: The Control and Efficiency of the System.
15. Regulation and Control.
16. The Efficiency of the Financial System.
Select Bibliography and Further Reading.