Robert N. Gordon is the president and owner of Twenty-First Securities Corporation, which provides investment advice and financial management for corporate, institutional, and individual clients. He was formerly a partner at Oppenheimer & Company and chairman of the Securities Industry Associations Tax Policy Committee. He is also an adjunct professor at New York Universitys Graduate School of Business and is a much sought-after speaker at industry conferences.
Jan M. Rosen, a long-time editor and former tax columnist in the financial news department of The New York Times, has been responsible for that newspapers annual tax section for many years. In addition, she is a contributor to Tax Hotline and other newsletters published by Boardroom, Inc.
Overview. PART 1: Taxable Investments and Strategies for Protecting their Value.
- Choosing Your Investment Tools Carefully.
- The How and When of Harvesting Your Losses.
- Techniques for Utilizing Your Losses.
- Smart Choices for Fixed-Income Holdings.
- Hedging to Avoid Capital Gains Tax.
- The Quest for Tax Efficiency in Mutual Funds.
PART 2: Tax-Advantaged Investment Opportunities.
- Structuring Your Retirement Portfolio.
- Savvy Ways to Save for College.
- The Double Life of Life Insurance.
PART 3: Special Situations.
- Making Prudent Elections.
- Managing Your Employee Stock Options.
- Avoiding Tax Traps for Closely Held Businesses.
- Planning for Often-Overlooked State Taxes.
PART 4: Your Annual Opportunity.
- Year-End Planning Strategies.